0 x item(s)
WHEN BOOKING A CLASS ONLINE, OTHER THAN BY CALLING THE SHOP, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO PUT YOUR PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL IN THE 'NOTES' PART OF THE ORDER. MANY THANKS.
Modular Knitting with Negative Space
Saturday March 10th 10:00am-2pm
This is a 4 hour class.
Knitting with Olga Buraya-Kefelian of Olgajazzy with a new class and pattern that is launching at Loop!
Loop is thrilled to welcome Olga back to the shop and honoured to have her teach at Loop.
The type of knitting that is taught in this class is really what sets Olga's design style apart. Known for pushing the boundaries of knitting with her stunning 3 dimensional knitting and inventive stitches, this workshop is such a gift to be able to take with her.
A new rectangular shawl/stole pattern design featuring Daughter of a Shepherd "4 ply" fingering weight.
In this class you will learn a technique for working and creating negative spaces modular style without breaking of the yarn or working intarsia. You will master it in class while you will have an option of creating a wrap using this innovative method for your knitwear or creating a design of your own.
Skills needed: students need to know how to knit, cast on, bind off, increase, decrease
● How to make the right yarn and stitch pattern choice when working patterns with negative space.
● Several types of stretchy cast on methods
● How to create negative spaces in knit fabric continuously
● How to balance the knit fabric while adding the negative spaces
● How to create various shapes of negative spaces
Materials Needed to make the Shawl:
● 1600 yds of fingering weight yarn
● Suggested yarn: Any sturdy (not super drapey) 4 Ply/Fingering weight yarn such as Daughter of a Shepherd 4 ply or The Little Grey Sheep Hampshire 4 Ply. We will have limited stock of Daughter of a Shepherd 4 Ply which will be available to purchase on the day and we will be more than happy to wind it for you.
● 3.5 mm 24-36" circular needle
● crochet hook 3.25 mm or E 3.5 mm
● Pattern for this wrap will be provided to you in class.
● some smooth texture solid light and/or bright colored yarn and needles in several different sizes for swatching with it.
● No homework.
Materials are not included for this class so please bring the above for both swatching in class and to begin your shawl.
Daughter of a Shepherd is kindly providing a mini skein for each participent to have for the class to use/swatch with!
"Having been taught to knit at the age of 4 by my professional seamstress mother, I acquired my tailoring skills early while working alongside her.
My knitting career began in 2003 while traveling the world. I have discovered numerous sources of inspiration and began to explore these through the medium of yarn and knitting.
Contributions and collaborations with numerous yarn companies and publications resulted in collections of garments and accessories that are uniquely my style.
The “olgajazzy” brand of independent knitwear patterns was established in 2006.
Innovative, versatile and born out of my natural curiosity for geometry, architecture and textile explorations. All the while grounded in practicality of finished pieces and concentrating on enriching skills set of any knitter through my patterns.
* Classes are held in the shop.
Refreshments such as tea and biscuits will be provided throughout the day.
100% deposit is required at registration.
Cancellation policy: Full refund of payment for a class will be given for cancellations only if the spot can be filled by another student. Please be considerate.
We reserve the right to cancel a class in unusual circumstances. We try to avoid this wherever possible, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. In this situation, of course, a full refund will be given.
We're sorry but Loop can not be financially responsible for extreme weather conditions or any other situations that are out of its' control.